Thursday, January 10, 2013

The rest of the story

I just found out I was getting induced, not sometime this week, but the very next day. Originally the doctor wanted to send me to Labor and Delivery that night, but told me to go ahead and try to get Rick home first. Luckily, his squadron got to work and flew another pilot out to California to meet his plane. He grabbed dinner really quick and jumped on a commercial flight, flew all night, and made it to Little Rock bright and early Tuesday morning.

After I left the doctor's office and made my frantic phone calls, I headed out to run some last minute errands. Abbey and her family were on their way to Little Rock already so she was able to help me load up on groceries and toilet paper before my mom got there. I think I was in shock the whole day. We thought I might be induced but we weren't prepared for it, emotionally, mentally, or physically. We had just completed 8 weeks of natural labor classes but as soon as the doctor said inducing that all went out the window.

Rick and I went into the hospital Tuesday night around 5. They hooked me up to the monitors and started cytatec around 7. Apparently, I was already having contractions but not feeling them. Sometime during the night I started feeling the contractions but nothing too bad. I was able to sleep through them. Rick slept through it all until the next morning. I was still having contractions but was barely dialated to 1. They started pitocin at 7 and then broke my water about an hour later. Everything went really quickly after that. It seems like the next time they checked me I was already dilated to 5. At some point I started to have back labor. I was still trying to avoid the epidural so decided to have them give me Demoral. Worst decision ever. It made me completley loopy and then I ended up getting the epidural anyway. I was already almost a 7 when I got the epidural and next tiem they checked me I was fully dialated and ready to push. I don't remember feeling an urge to push but, like I said, I was really loopy. We pushed for half an hour or so and Paige was not cooperated. Her heartrate dropped at one point and the doctor had to suction her out. She was pissed! She started screaming immediately. I just lost it and started bawling, mainly with relief that the whole thing was over.

She had to go to the nursery almost immediately because of low blood sugar and had an IV for a few days. We had some nursing trouble at first and she dropped to 4 lbs 14 oz. Tiny! She's almost 9 lbs at two months now. We of course think she's so big but other people looking at her still think she's tiny. My recovery was really easy and I'm so thankful for that. I'm sure it had something to do with how small she was. Now I just have to discover this thing people call working out. I hear it's good for you and makes you look like a celebrity. I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment